My blogs about my diet are not working as well as I had hoped. My goal was to create a sense of community, with readers joining in on a healthy eating bandwagon. But reader response was lackluster. And then I had missteps in my own diet, so I felt like a bit of a fraud. But I also thought maybe that made it more authentic. Whatever the case, the product, process, and response were all uninspiring.
So I am going to continue my diet but not the daily posts, and I may do a recap when it is over. We’ll see. (I have lost a pound, so something worked.) Anybody who wants to join me can email me and I will help encourage you. I am all about encouraging people.
The message I want to send in all this:
• Diet is important in fighting TNBC; losing weight appears to be the essential factor.
• It’s a real pain to eat healthy all the time. Others are better at it than I am.
• Remembering how much better I feel and look when I eat well keeps me motivated.
• Remembering is difficult when I am being lured by fats and sweets.
• Success in anything comes in smalls bits and starts. When you lose weight slowly and steadily, you are more likely to keep it off.
• Moderation in all things should be your goal.
Now off to chew on a carrot.
[Here’s yesterday’s diet—I already had this prepared, so figured I might as well post it.]
March 21, 2013
•low fat cream cheese: 70 calories, 4 grams of saturated fat, no trans
• 1 leaf of romaine lettuce: 1 calories, no fats
Sandwich total: 183 calories, 4 grams saturated fats
•small apple: 116 calories, trace saturated, no trans fats
• Organic hot chocolate with almond milk: 110 calories
• 1 cup broccoli: 25 calories, no trans or saturated fats
• 16 whole almonds: 82 calories. 2 percent daily value saturated fats, no trans fats
• Baked acorn squash with apples: 315 calories
NOTE: I make sure to keep hydrated during the day, but don’t actually measure whether I get the recommended 64 ounces or not. I feel livelier when I am hydrated. Often, when I start losing energy, I have a tall drink of water and I feel better.
5 grams saturated fats—25 percent daily value
2+ servings of fruits, 2+ serving of vegetables, plus juice and green drink
Stats: I’ve lost a pound so far. We’ll see if I keep it off, but it feels like progress.